Sometimes my life seems to be getting faster and faster. My family, my dogs, my responsibilities, schedules, errands, computers, phones, texting, work, and time for myself are all screaming for my attention. Sometimes I feel like I am sprinting down a steep mountain while trying to juggle all my stuff. It’s is inevitable that I will fall.
When I feel chaos lurking I’ve learned to slow down and pause. I try to remember that I have many opportunities throughout each day to choose not to get caught up in the ever increasingly fast-paced world around me. I’ve developed a plan.
Consider these “Slowing Down” strategies today:
1. Live simply.
2. Stay in touch with what your doing NOW.
3. Support other people in their day’s journey without trying to control them. This can help you form connections with people and giving you an opportunity to make the world a better place.
4. Consciously choose what you will invite into your being. The media bombards us with visions of bias, hate, war, and pain. Be judicious about what you read, watch, and listen to.
5. Acknowledge the beauty around you. Whether you live in a city, suburb, beach community or the mountains, there are natural and man-made wonders just waiting to be explored.
6. Create a “tribe”, a community of family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances. Modern life can be isolating, but a tribe can be a source of support, caring, guidance, and companionship.
7. See the big picture. Remember that the way that you “choose to live” is not the “only way to live”. Widen your perspective by exploring other “ways of being” through reading, travel and conversation.
8. Embrace the challenges that life presents to you every day. When taken for granted, even the most exciting jobs or lifestyles can seem routine. Never stop assimilating new knowledge about whatever you are doing, and your life will never seem dull.
9. Chew your food. Eat slowly. Actually experience the taste, smell, texture, sight and even sound of what you put into your body. How does is “FEEL” to experience all five senses while you eat. Eat without distraction. Enjoy a meal slowly.
10. Remember to take some time for stillness, silence, and solitude. The world is noisy, and we are subject to all kinds of sounds nearly every waking hour. Being alone in a peaceful place and making time for quiet can help you stay in touch with yourself.
Slow down and experience your daily journey, the alternative is a missed opportunity.
Remember to push the pause button.